Monday, July 26, 2010

A tribute to Gene Field

Some years ago I restored a 63 Ford Galaxie. I had no prior experience but I did have a great mentor in Gene Field. Gene spent his entire adult life (and we are talking some 83 years here) in the business of restoring old cars, or as he would say with a smile, helping old junk down the road. Before that he was as an 18 year old fighting in Europe during WWII.
One of the many, many things that Gene taught me was that you can't hurry body work. You fill and you sand and you fill and you sand and so on. When you think it is perfect then you align it with the sunlight, pour water over it, look for the imperfections and mark them with a sharpie.

Then you fill and sand and fill and sand. The front of the cart has over the years taken a beating but I am, in the best Gene tradition, going to help this piece of junk down the road, Mr Field would have it no other way.

My old friend and mentor isn't doing too good these days and I don't think that he will be restoring any more pieces of junk but I know he will get a grin out of this old golf cart. Thanks for your help old man.

No comments:

Post a Comment