Wednesday, July 7, 2010

More stripdown

Lots more progress. I finally got all of the trim off and let me tell you that was no easy task. It needed to be done because a) some halfwit had sprayed the entire cart (including the rubber trim) white and b) the trim wraps around from back to front and had to be removed to get the front off. Incidentally under the trim you can see the original color, a rather fetching duck egg blue.

So with the trim off I was finally able to remove the front end and although it only took you seconds to read about it, it took me hours to achieve. Lucky you. With the front off I was able to sweep out 10 years of leaves and squirrel's nests, but I did find ......
...... some old wooden tees and a marking pencil. Now call me a gay bar loiterer if you will but I find a certain fascination in the realization that many, many years ago this piece of junk was actually a golf cart that was used to haul golfers (too lazy to walk) around a course. Not for the first time do I fantasise about having a time machine to see the living history of whatever. Ooopps, seem to have drifted off here.

I also made a start on the electrics. With the aid of copious quantities of WD40 I was able to free up the throttle and the lever from the throttle to the hill brake which now all works. Contrary to expectations the micro switch on the throttle was not welded in position and a small adjustment of the actuator got that running. I needed to remove the throttle cable and sadly sheared off the bolt that holds it to the rod so it looks like another huge expense with those avaricious vipers at EZ GO. Still I did manage to get a generic choke cable and ignition switch at my local auto parts store so that saved me some of my hard earned wedge.
I also removed the oil reservoir as I have decided to go the pre mix route, it just kind of worried me that there were too many things to go wrong with the oil pump system and if they do go wrong then the first symptom is my newly rebuilt engine seizes up.
Tonight I shall spray the engine bay with Rustoleum black and carry on with rewiring the ignition.



No comments:

Post a Comment