Monday, July 19, 2010

New wheels

Today I realised that I was going to spend some serious cash. I scoured the four corners of the Internet and found these bad boys. They are exactly what I wanted. Big chunky tires with the added bonus of being premounted onto 8 inch rims. This will increase the overall diameter from 18 inches to 22 inches and should just about fill the wheel arches. I think that we can all agree here that size is important.
I also bought the two clutches today. I managed to find OEM parts at a good price and what is more they actually took the trouble to call me and let me know that a) they had my order and b) I should expect it all of Friday. It turns out that of all the places in the US they are 20 miles from my home.
Of course with all the money I saved I bought a new carburetter so I didn't save anything at all, but I'm still stoked about the cart.

On a practical note I now suspect that the final cost will be closer to $2000 that the planned $1500 (isn't that always the way?) On the face of it I could have just spent $2000 on a cart but at least I will be driving a cart with a new engine, a new set of clutches, a new set of wheels and tires and a new paint job. In addition what value can I put on the fun it all is to pull a piece of crap out of the woods and turn it into a fun machine.

If you think that I am just trying to justify my crazy logic, you are right.

No comments:

Post a Comment