Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Plan

So you will have seen that the cart looks pretty crappy but having restored a 63 Galaxie I am quietly confident that I can pull this off. The good news is that the body is made up of two shells and both appear to be aluminum (or aluminium as we English say) The rear is in great shape and although the front is somewhat battered I am sure it can be beaten out and filled. Jumping way ahead, the tentative plan is to spray the front shell blue with white stars and the rear shell red and white stripes, thus making it a tribute to my adopted homeland. (Yeah I know, what a suck up).
The first job, after I get it home, will be to unlock the rear brakes so that I can move it around this will be necessary in order to hide it from the fascist bastards at the home owners association. Then I am going to make a huge assumption inasmuch as the engine has locked (or is so worn out as to be inoperable) and pull the engine. Fortunately there are a ton of parts for this little engine and around $350 will get me a complete rebuild kit. So the first plan will be that if this turns to ashes I will have a rebuilt engine and they retail at around $800 so at the very worse I will double my money.
One interesting point is that the cart has a 2 stroke engine so it will be an easy build (flat head, no valves and so on). Being a 2 stroke it runs happily in both directions and this is how you select reverse, stop the engine, throw the switch that reverses the starter motor and restart.
Well the next step will be to get it off the mountain and get it home. With the wheels still locked pulling it onto the trailer will be fun but I have my buddy JC helping so stay tuned and I will let you know how it goes down.

No comments:

Post a Comment