Monday, May 31, 2010

The engine is out !

Well it was a busy weekend of barbecuing and drinking. The babies were all home so there were trips to make and ATVs to ride. By Monday afternoon I thought I might just have a little tinker with the golf cart. Well I messed here and I messed there and suddenly realized that if I removed four bolts the engine would be out. As it happened I was wrong as there were another three bolts hidden by the muffler which also had to be removed.

Still throwing caution to the winds (and throwing my back out again) a mighty heave and the engine was out. Looks kind of pathetic doesn't it?


I think that it is 295 cc and chucks out 11 hp. Well if it can get 2 golfers and their bags around a golf course it should get my lardy old ass around the yard.



With the engine out I now have a little extra room to work out the wiring. It is a bit of a mess but nothing I can't handle. Plans for this week are to clean the engine up and then remove all the accessories like the fuel pump and carburetter. Hopefully I can get it stripped down and ready to order the new parts. This model has a separate oil tank and a small pump and regulator to inject the correct volume of oil dependant on engine speed. The link from the throttle to the oil pump was broken so I am guessing that the engine was starved of oil and seized up. This may be why it was abandoned, I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment