Friday, May 21, 2010

It moves !

Today a big shout out to Butch and Bonnie Kennedy. I mentioned my predicament with wheel hubs and wrenches and by lunchtime Bonnie turned up with a 1 inch socket, a 1and 1/8th socket and a 24 inch pipe wrench. For reasons that I don't understand the 1 inch was too small and the 1,1/8th was too big but just like Goldilocks and the porridge, the pipe wrench was just right. (As a slight aside, Butch tells me that most of his tools were inherited from his Daddy. Looking at this pipe wrench, which weights about 20 lbs I cannot help but to wonder if tools were not made just a little bit better in days of yore).

So with a bit of a grunt the nuts were spun off, of course this still left the hubs frozen on. I soon realised that the hill brake had been applied and the two cables then rusted in place. By knocking out the connecting pins and the judicious use of a mallet I was able to free the shoes and off came the hubs. The shoes have plenty of meat on them which will save me $60 and with a clean and a grease it was all back together. I was able to WD40 the cables and got them kind of, sort of, maybe working. Now I am not sure that I trust my life to a set of 24 year old rusty brake cables so in the fullness of time they will be replaced but for now I have brakes that work when you press the pedal and release when you don't. All the tires were flat and without much hope I tried to get some air in them and to my surprise they all held air. It goes without saying that they will be replaced even if these 8 inch tires cost an outageous $50 each (softly sobbing). For the first time in years the cart can be pushed around and that is a good end to the week.

I have ordered the service manual and hopefully it will arrive during the weekend. Then I can start the engine removal and stripdown. Once I am assured that the engine can be saved then I will start spending money. If the the engine has thrown a rod or similar then I have lost nothing but time spend doing what I love, dicking around.

PS My buddy JC liked the idea of the grass print body wrap and suggested that if I do go that way I should replace the floor mat with astroturf. How cool is that? Now with a grass theme for the cart how could I not get this souvenir tag from the DMV?

Virginia wildflowers, yes please.

2 comments:

  1. Oh like you don't know. A spliff is a doobie, a fattie or in the language of the 50's a joint. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spliff
    The fascists at the DMV have spat on my 1st ammendment and not only can you not have WEED but they will not even show it on the sample screen. If anyone in he world needed to spliff up "thems de folks man"

    ReplyDelete