Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Getting closer

So I will skip the boring stuff and cut to the chase. I got all of the peripherals off and then pulled the head. Now all this time I had assumed that the piston had seized as I could not turn the crank, however once I pulled the cylinder bolts and squirted some penetration oil in the bore the cylinder slid off. Here is a picture of the piston and you can see that there is plenty of blow through indicating that the piston rings are shot. If you look carefully you can also see that the piston is in fact cracked. There was never a possibility of me not rebuilding the engine but it is good to see that I made the right call.

Below is the crankcase with the con rod sticking out of the top. The thing still won't turn so I am guessing that the main bearings have seized. Sadly this is where I came to another grinding halt. I need to remove the centrifugal clutch at one end and the flywheel at the other, both of which require special tools that I don't possess.


Once that is done I hope that I can split the crankcase and the tear down is complete. For now I am off to search for a friend with a puller.

No comments:

Post a Comment