Wednesday, June 9, 2010

At freakin last

It really has been a miserable week or so, for various reasons. Still it ultimately ended in triumph and that coupled with the fact that if anyone could do it, it wouldn't be fun, is the main thing. Here is how it all went down.

In order to remove the centrifugal clutch you need a special tool to screw it out. You can either spend $49 or make it yourself for $10. I chose the cheap option which consists of a 3/8 rod and a 3/4 bolt. Sadly I bought a 9/16 bolt (why I ask myself) and this coupled with the fact that the instructions called for a 5 inch rod (titter) when I needed a 3 inch rod made it all a very miserable experience. Once I had all the correct parts I realized that I didn't have a 1 1/8 socket and so it was another trip to the hardware store. Finally we were set and then I discovered that I could not hold the block and twist the socket. So with me standing on the block and Susie bouncing off the socket handle, we finally spun the clutch off.

At the other end of the crankshaft is the harmonic balancer. Once again this needs a special tool but I made the job much harder by trying to use a regular puller. The whole thing was exceedingly tedious and it is more tedious to write about it, so let us just say that the balancer is also off. One of the main bearings had seized up and so getting the crankcase off was a bear until I hit it with a blowtorch and it literally fell off.


And there we are one rusty crankshaft. One the right you can see the main journals still welded on.

That is as far as the tear down goes. Now it is crunch time. Up until now I have spent a few dollars on tools. In the next few days I have to decide whether or not to continue. I am sure that both the clutches will need replacing and that will cost circa $500, the engine rebuild kit is $400, the body wrap is $350 and I am sure that there will be a veritable cornucopia of other miscellaneous expenses. Would I be better off just buying a used cart for $2000?

I am going off to the mountains for a couple of days to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment